February 27, 2012

Getting Inspired

Earlier this year, literary agent Karen Ball of The Steve Laube Agency wrote a blog series about creativity and ways to get the writing juices flowing. Lots of writers chimed in with their favorite creative activities, and it got me thinking.

What inspires me?

And I’m not just talking about what inspires me to write. I mean, what inspires me to live a full life? To jump up and down (figuratively or literally) with joy? What things bring a contented sigh from my lips and remind me that life. is. good?

Several things come to mind. Here are a few:

Reading a Bible verse that resonates to the tips of my toes.

A good book with real characters who learn something I can apply to my life.

Belting a worship song and dancing with abandon in the confines of my room.

White chocolate melting on the tip of my tongue.

The sound of flowing water.

Swinging at the park, pretending I’m soaring toward the stars.

Imagining it’s possible to reach the stars.

Arizona summer storms with warm rain and brilliant lightning whisking across the sky.

Being wrapped in a friend’s embrace.

Getting a pedicure when my toes finally emerge from hiding all winter in closed-toed shoes.

Starbucks one-on-one dates with a friend I haven’t seen in ages.

Hosting a party and seeing smiles on my guests’ faces.

Watching old family videos and hearing my mom’s voice again.

Feeling well rested when I wake up in the morning.

Praying all night and knowing, with all my being, that God heard me.

A good belly laugh from one of my nieces or nephews. Or all five of them.

Forging a new friendship.

Snuggling against my husband’s chest.

Hearing God whisper, “I have good plans for you. And you’re on the right track.”

Your Turn: What inspires you?

*Photo by Marcus74id

20 comments:

  1. Oh I love these...and I was moved by watching the old videos. Memories are a sweet gift from God.
    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they, Wendy? I just love pictures and videos, but especially videos.

      Delete
  2. Sitting around a dining room table, playing games with my family. Love it. Love the laughter.

    And those days when God's voice and guidance is so clear. I know He's there everyday, but some days He's just so...obvious. Which this "please just shout at me, so I know it's you" girl loves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, yes on the games! We've had some rocking times with Balderdash and the like. And I totally agree on the guidance from the Lord. It's so...peaceful.

      Delete
  3. I loved reading your list, Lindsay. My favorite: "Belting a worship song and dancing with abandon in the confines of my room." I'd love to be there for that. =) I've heard you sing. What a beautiful voice you have. You inspire me, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, Keli, you are the sweetest! I am inspired by your encouragement. :)

      Delete
  4. Ahhhh ... loved this post.
    What inspires me?
    Silence -- that allows me to think.
    Music -- You know what I mean. The "soundtracks" to my stories.
    Walks -- with my husband, where we talk things out. Life. Problems. Whatever.
    Praying in Color -- a whole new approach to prayer for me, thanks to reading Sybil MacBeth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it funny how we can be inspired by silence? But it's so true. Sometimes we don't need "things" to inspire us. We just need to stop. And listen.

      Delete
  5. I work with children on a daily basis, and their infectious laughter and play with abandon inspires to get in touch with my inner child. Having family time--loud dinners and good-natured quibbling over games--inspires me. Music is always an inspiration. Also, well-written books inspire me as do precious photos. Great post, Lindsay. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with everything you named, Lisa! I'm so glad God has given me so many ways to be inspired.

      Delete
  6. Wonderful list. All these (minus hosting parties) makes me happy and inspires me that life really is good.

    I would add: Holding my son and knowing how blessed I am to have such a happy, healthy miracle baby. Laughing with my husband. Spending time with my mom and watching her play with her grandson. Taking a long uninterrupted bubble bath. And buying a new outfit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are all wonderful! I can't believe I didn't put bubble baths on my list. There is something so relaxing and rejuvenating about them, for sure!

      Delete
  7. What a great list, Lindsay! Today is one of those sunny days when I got to take my kids to the park and slide down the slides with them. Definitely inspiring. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, yes, sunny days. We went to the park yesterday and I was able to wear shorts! Beautiful!

      Delete
  8. Questions, music, family dinners & walks, watching my kids enjoy their sports and academic activities, Bible study, falling in love with a fictional character who shakes up my perspective, relishing old friendships, meeting new friends, art & photography...

    What a positive way to start the week! Thanks for making me think about these things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo, questions...especially when you get a deliciously good answer!

      Delete
  9. LOVE this list! :)
    I'm inspired by sunny days and cool breezes, naps on my hammock, and early mornings with Jesus! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Man, I wish I had a hammock! That sounds amazing. And yes, early mornings with Jesus totally rock. Thanks so much for visiting, Jessica!

      Delete
  10. Working in my rose garden. When I'm amongst my flowers, I listen more closely to God as He speaks.

    My children and grandchildren.

    My patients - young and old. The kids have disabilities yet always smile and never complain. Never. The older people have been through WWII and many of them lived through the Depression, yet they push on. Again, they don't complain. I have one gentleman who sings to me every time I walk through his door. He has a great voice too. These are broken people physically. I can't help but smile as I work with these people and feel inspired by their strong will.

    The ocean. I love the ocean.

    Rainy days.

    A hike through the mountains.

    My husband.

    My lovely ladies at my 6am Bible study on Tuesdays.

    And reading the Bible and staying in the Word with Jesus Christ our Savior.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing how those who are "broken physically" sometimes have the most strength. I definitely saw that with my mom, and it inspired me too.

      And your husband inspires me too! :) (For everyone else reading this, her husband is my daddy! Just wanted to clarify that!)

      Delete