January 4, 2012

The Unknown


Yesterday, I started a new job. It didn’t matter that I’ve worked in a similar job before. It didn’t matter that I have a good feeling about my new boss. It didn’t matter that there is a long list of “pros” to starting and working this job.

I was still nervous.

I think that’s a fairly common sentiment when someone starts a new job, but what exactly about it made me nervous? It was a general, not specific, anxiety that I had. There’s nothing in particular that gave me concern about this new job.

I guess I was just nervous about the unknown.

Of course, our whole life is one big series of unknowns, but we feel in some ways that we have control over some aspects—even if that sense of control may be false. But for me, it seems I get anxious particularly when there’s something NEW I’m doing. When I’m unseasoned. When I feel inexperienced. When I could possibly fail.

And that makes me realize a few things about myself. One, I’m a perfectionist overachiever who expects great things of myself and fears falling off the horse (cliché, I know) so much I’m tempted not to ride in the first place. And two, I’m a control freak.

But luckily, there’s a solution for my neurosis.

His name is God.

Because God tells me that HE’S in control. That I shouldn’t worry. That there’s nothing to fear if He is with me.

So if I can stop FEARING the unknown and start EMBRACING it because it gives God an opportunity to be in control of my life, I think I’ll be a lot better off.

Oh, and that first day of work? I shouldn’t have been nervous. God had my back the whole time.

Your Turn: Do you fear the unknown or embrace it?

Photo courtesy of Africa: http://www.freedigitalphotos.net/images/view_photog.php?photogid=1803

8 comments:

  1. If I'm honest a little of both. This post reminded me of Katie G.'s today. You guys are surfing the same wave. ;)
    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, we're definitely on the same page, Lindsay! Love this post.

    I'm learning to embrace the unknown. Because it's in the unknown that we cling tightest to God.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am truly amazed at how God works! This is the second post I have read today about fear. This is on top of my own that I posted on my blog!
    Seems God is trying to tell us all to NOT FEAR.

    If I may be so bold as to post a link to my site, I think it really correlates with your post: http://tcavey.blogspot.com/2012/01/act-like-baby.html

    Glad to hear your first day went well. I tend to act the same way when confronted with new situations, I get nervous and then it usually turns out to be for nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have come a long way in embracing the unknown. Former Neurotic Worrier Queen here. One of the biggest blessings in my life has been the ability to understand God's sovereignty—not only over me, but also over all His creation. The first year I read the Bible cover to cover in the One Year Bible format, I kept a running Word (pun intended, lol) document of all the verses on sovereignty. It's nearly 60 pages long (all the verses are written out).

    It's all in His hands! Whew!

    p.s. hooray for you to have the dreaded first day behind you now. Onward and upward from there, right? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wendy, thank you for your honesty! :) And I know, I thought the same thing when I saw Katie's post!

    Katie, thank you so much for stopping by and reading. I agree with you. We notice his presence so much more when we're clinging to him.

    TC, I'll be sure to take a look at your blog. Awesome that we're on the same wavelength!

    Barb, that's such a cool thing you did. 60 pages on the sovereignty of God. What an awesome reminder if you ever start to feel the Neurotic Worrier Queen start to rear her head again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm usually scared of the unknown. But as I get older, I'm learning to not let that hold me back. Glad to hear you survived your first few days on the new job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to say I embrace the unknown ... but too often I fear it.
    I like to hang with people more brave than I am. Their courage, their faith, challenges me to step out in faith too.
    And, yes, I know the truth too: God's got my back. And the truth is, he goes before me, walks beside me ... and has my back -- all at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sarah, I think I'm the same. The more I see of God's goodness, the easier it is to trust Him with the unknown.

    Beth, I love that thought! God not only has my back, but my front and my sides too. In fact, he surrounds me and holds me together completely! :P

    ReplyDelete