January 25, 2012

The Ultimate Source of Rest

How many times a week do you find yourself saying, “I’m just so…tired!” or “I need a break!” ??

For me? Something like, oh, let’s say 1,000. A nice round number.

OK, maybe that’s a *slight* exaggeration, but the point is, life is busy. We go, go, go. And everyone, everywhere, at some point, needs REST.

But what is rest, exactly? Different people probably find different things relaxing. To some, their idea of rest is watching TV. To some, it’s reading a good book. To still others, it’s cooking (because they enjoy it).

Lately, I’ve had more time than usual to rest (a lot more time than I ever had when working full time and going to school, anyway!). And I’ve needed it. We all do.

But I’ve found that the things I’ve been doing to rest haven’t really been all that restful. That is, I didn’t feel that deep sense of “Ah” that I was hoping I’d feel after resting.

Watching TV all day didn’t get me there. Reading a book didn’t get me there. Cooking certainly didn’t get me there.

There’s a reason for that.

The Bible says, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest” (Matthew 11:28).

Normally, when I think of “rest,” I think of physical rest, but I think this verse refers to a lot more than the physical type of rest. And I think what I usually need is more along the lines of a spiritual and emotional rest.

Physical rest is important too, of course, but usually when I’m completely drained and my energy is depleted, it’s because I haven’t taken the time to rest my spirit.

And the source of that ultimate rest is in God.

It can only be found in stopping what we are doing, going to Him, and asking Him to give us rest. To refresh us. To help us regain focus and live life with energy and zest. To revive our spirit.

So the next time I feel tired, worn out, and just plain drained emotionally and spiritually, I hope I will remember to run to Him, read His Word, pray out my troubles, and ask Him to give me rest…and watch as He refreshes my spirit.

Your Turn: Where do you find rest, whether it be physical or emotional/spiritual rest?

*Photo courtesy of Suat Eman

15 comments:

  1. Great distinction, Lindsay—you're so right that there's a big difference between physical rest and spiritual rest. I find that periods of high irritation and general restlessness can be directly linked to my lack of spending time reading and studying the Bible. Sometimes all it takes is reading one little phrase "Do not be afraid" or "I will not leave you" and I can feel my tank filling up with love, warmth and the ability to be still, and know He is God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment reminds me of my post last week about my faith tank.

      Delete
    2. Ah, you gotta love a full tank. It's like when I fill up my car with gas. I feel relieved...it's not weighing on my shoulders anymore that I'll run out of juice on the freeway. Same thing in life. :)God gives and gives. We just have to stop and ask.

      Delete
  2. Good points! I know I can tell when I have neglected my walk with God.
    Having a baby has really brought new meaning to needing physical rest. Since there are only 24 hours in a day and all 24 hours are full, God has been blessing me with Spiritual rest and strength to make it each day. It's also amazing to see how God really does know our limits...when I think I can't go on, he always blesses me with a little physical rest so I can refuel for more baby time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great to know that even after having a baby, you still can experience God's rest. Sometimes God gives us things to make us rest too. We aren't always grateful at the time but can see the benefit later!

      Delete
  3. I've been fighting a sinus infection and for the past several nights I've gone to bed at 8 and I can't tell you how good it has felt to get so much sleep! Such a reminder how important it is. My doc also suspects I'm anemic so I need to go get that blood word done.
    Enough putting it off.
    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sleep? What's that? :P I know what you mean, though, Wendy. Sleep is something I don't get enough of, but when I do...it's simply glorious!

      Delete
  4. I find rest...in bubble baths. And sleep. :)

    But you're so right - the kind of rest that truly renews, is the kind that finds us in God's arms. (Plus, he won't turn me into a prune the way a bubble bath does!) I love, too, that we can keep coming back to him to be refreshed. He's not a one-stop God...he'll fill us daily. Love that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I. Love. Bubble Baths. End of story. Best thing ever. Especially if you have a good book and some candles and music. Ah.

      And your prune comment made me laugh!

      Delete
  5. Oh what a great point, Lindsay. Thank you for sharing this. Sometimes after having the TV on for a while, I turn it off and think, "Why didn't I do this sooner?" Nothing beats true silence. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Silence is awesome, Sarah. I definitely don't get enough of it, because I forget how awesome it really can be. Just to get away from the noise of the world is so relaxing. I'm sure as a mom you have found that to be true! Ha.

      Delete
  6. About mid-day today I admitted that I was flat-out tired. And so I took a nap. I've been a napper for years. A short nap -- or a long one, depending on the need -- helps me make it through the rest of the day. Before the nap, my word count production lagged. After the nap? I hit my stride.
    And, yes, time in prayer and the Word is also refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Beth! Naps are the best. If they are too long, though, I tend to remain in a funk the rest of the day. The short cat naps are often what I need to refuel.

      Delete
  7. I'm with Beth, I love a quick catnap. And I try to remember the body-spirit-soul connection, and stretch and breathe. It helps clear the mental cobwebs so I can focus on Him and hear His voice.
    Thanks, Lindsay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right, Susan. That connection is so important to remember. We can't neglect any part of ourselves or we'll feel it in other aspects of our lives!

      Delete